Dollar for the Dead (Gene Quintano, 1998)

I had an interesting discussion with tom regarding this movie. I’m wondering, what are the other board members thoughts on this?

[quote=“tom, post:3, topic:441”]Im sorryy that I have to say this,
but I really cant enjoy this movie "Dollar for the Dead ", I had to turn it of after watching it for 10 min!
I found it a cheap madly of spaghetti highlights, with some acters who´s career wasnt going so well.

I more had the feeling that the acters were having a drinking evening together to talk about why they didnt have a carere anymore. Than, after smoking to mutch they came up with the idea to make a modern spaghetti western. they all became very enthousiastic and were thinking they are going to make a great cult movie “in the style of Tarentino”

I really find this movie very nerving and apsolutely dont want to give it the credits of being a Spaghetti!

dont understand me wrong Im happy that you post a dvd cover :wink: and its nothing personally against you

this is just one of these movies … ;)[/quote]

[quote author=Bad Lieutenant link=topic=497.msg6183#msg6183 date=1163159191]
I understand your feelings about this movie, even though I personally found it somewhat enjoyable. It’s an hommage to Sergio Leone and not meant to be taken seriously. Every shot of the stranger hits the target and he never runs out of ammo. It’s completely absurd; basically everything in this movie is impossible. Besides that, for a television production it’s pretty good and it does have a lot of action. Regardless of the quality (or the lack thereof), I do think it’s a spaghettiwestern, because it includes some relevant Italian/spaghetti credits:

• Cinematography by
    Giovanni Fiore Coltellacci (as Gianni Fiore), who worked on China 9, Liberty 37
  • Production Design by
    Luciano Spadoni, who worked on Twice a Judas and China 9, Liberty 37
    -Ricardo Palacios (actor) who acted in a whole bunch of spaghettiwestern, too many to mention.
    IMDB link for Ricardo Palacios:
    Ricardo Palacios - IMDb

I haven’t yet seen it, i have heard it is diabolical, but i do want to see it for the reason that it was filmed at “Texas Hollywood”

even if its a homage to sergio leone, I still find it a very bad movie,
if you look at the movie THE LAST MAN STANDING with Bruce Willes , I find it mutch more enjoyable and more orriginal.

its the same story as for a few dollars more, like what leone did with kurosawa´s yojombo. last man standing is a remake of a few dollars more.
its more in the line of the history and background of the movie.

dollar for the dead just takes alot of “famous” scenes from spaghetties and gluwed them together and called it a homage to leone! witch I dont thin it is, in my opinion they just put that on the vhs cover to fool people to rent/buy this movie!

conclusion: the movie is not interesting and doesnt add anything to the western garne.

[quote=“tom, post:3, topic:442”]even if its a homage to sergio leone, I still find it a very bad movie,
if you look at the movie THE LAST MAN STANDING with Bruce Willes , I find it mutch more enjoyable and more orriginal.

its the same story as for a few dollars more, like what leone did with kurosawa´s yojombo. last man standing is a remake of a few dollars more.
its more in the line of the history and background of the movie.

dollar for the dead just takes alot of “famous” scenes from spaghetties and gluwed them together and called it a homage to leone! witch I dont thin it is, in my opinion they just put that on the vhs cover to fool people to rent/buy this movie!

conclusion: the movie is not interesting and doesnt add anything to the western garne.[/quote]
This is a pretty late reply to a guy who’s not around anymore, but what the hell. Last Man Standing is a remake of A fistful of Dollars, and not of For a Few Dollars more. On topic: I just recently found out that Tony Anthony is the producer of Dollar for the Dead. Nice German title for the movie, by the way: Django – Ein Dollar für den Tod

Is the German dvd worth buying? It seems to be available with two different covers. Is there difference between them?

I can look and see if I can get you a copy here of the Bridge Pictures release. About half a year ago that release was in the 1 euro bin of Blokker, a chain of stores here, in vast amounts. Don’t know if they are still available.

I knew Gene Quintano when he made this film. He was stuck with Emilio Estevez by the TV Channel that produced the film and he’s the main problem. Howie Long should have been the ass kicking hero not the whimpy Estevez. Gene had some good ideas and the film was made at the old Leone locations. The production values were good for a TV film. It has Daniel Martin from FISTFUL OF DOLLARS and several other character actors from the SW days, but It’s just another opportunity that never came to be.

Are you sure it has Daniel Martin? I just checked the credits on the dvd, and he’s not on them. The only character actor from the SW days that I encountered was Ricardo Palacios, who played a bartender.

Daniel Martin is in the movie. He plays the Gambler, Sterling.
Here is the complete cast list for the film. On all the European DVD versions I have seen, the credits at the end are not complete. The following credits were taken from my old VHS tape recording of the original US TV broadcast.

The Cowboy EMILIO ESTEVEZ
Dooley WILLIAM FORSYTHE
Reager HOWIE LONG
Friar Ramon JOAQUIM DE ALMEIDA
Skinner JONATHAN BANKS
Colby ED LAUTER
Tracker LANCE KINSEY
Federale Captain JORDI MOLLA
Young Mexican Girl LETICIA ALVAREZ
Akers SIMON ANDREU
Regulator #1 GEORGE BULLOCK
Will ROGER CALLARD
Will’s Friend IGNACIO CARRENO
Julio ANTONIO CASTRO
Bartender - Gunpowder KEITH FARMER
Red Head BEATRIZ GUEVARA
Prison Guard #1 STEPHEN JENN
Churchman IGNACIO LEONARDI
Gambler - Sterling DANIEL MARTIN
Fort Gaurd #1 JOAN MINGUELL
Churchman #1 MARC MONTSERRAT
Bartender - Cantina RICARDO PALACIOS
Toby STEVE PETERSON
Reager’s Friend BILL PICKEL
Blacksmith BRENDAN PRICE
Regulator #2 ALVARO QUIROGA
Mexican Mother IMA RANEDO
Farmer at Meeting JOAN PAU ROMANI

Also backing this cast list up are the old TNT website pages devoted to this film.
[url]http://alt.tnt.tv/movies/tntoriginals/dollar/frame_index.html[/url]

Thanks for this.

After watching the movie, I’ve decided to share my opinion about it. First of all, I think it’s pretty good for a tv production. Some nice action and shooting scenes are presented, and the actors fit their roles. Well, with the exception of double E (of course) ! 'Cause of the lack of realism the movie is not to be taken seriously and nothing to get crazy about ! Still worth a watch I’d say !!!

By the way, the German DVD’s sound quality sucks !!!

yea i thought it was alright too,better than some genuine sw’s ive seen. :o

Sorry for reanimating this topic… :wink:

I saw this DVD some days ago in shop for a Euro and I watched it instantly. Well, Emilio Estevez is the most funny “Django” I have ever seen. [In the german title, the cowboy is called “Django” although he was never named like that in the movie.]
It was filmed in “Texas Hollywood” and “El Condor” and this is the most important reason for me to owe this Movie… 8)

i have this film and have had it in my collection for a while and i have always thought this film to be entertaining and as someone on this post has said there are plenty of SW’s worse than this film. As to whether it is a spaghetti western, no in my opinion it’s not, it is a film made in the style of a spaghetti western as a kind of tribute/ homage. I think E milio Estevez is ok in the role, he would not have been my first choice for the role certainly and wouldn’t have even been on a list of candidates but he is not that bad in it. The film has a lot of action, a lot of it more suited to a Hong Kong movie than a spaghetti western and it also has a fairly good cast.It is above average i think.

For what it’s worth: It sure is better and more entertaining than the remake of 3:10 to Yuma, which is on Belgian tv right now.

Yuma is a horrible movie, but as a comedy just great - this Dollar for the dead i turned off after 20 min. when it was on tv once,
but certainly i have to rewatch it - at least some action scenes were good at the start, and Tony produced it…

I like 3:10 to Yuma remake a lot :wink:

well, i´m aware that a lot of people like Yuma remake (which i really cannot understand)
but - maybe it´s just me - (or bad screenplay) :smiley:

I was disappointed by the 3:10 remake. The only good thing was Russel Crowe.

actors were good, i think, but i don´t like when writers make a fools out of the viewers,
but maybe some of the spectators don´t care about what the hell these characters are doing stuff