Django (Sergio Corbucci, 1966)

No, unfortunately, my friend didnā€™t say anything about that particular story.
I have wondered about that, too, amigo.
I donā€™t think the comic book story is totally out of the realm of possibility, like the story of the red masks.
But, given Deodatoā€™s apparent natureā€”this could be a gag as well. Quien sabe?

One of my favoritesā€¦ Nero is perfectly cast in it. Everyone in it does a great job.

favorite lines (when Django first meets Jacksonā€™s men at the bridge)

ā€œTaking it out on women doesnā€™t look good.ā€
ā€œWhat did you say?ā€
ā€œIt doesnā€™t matter. What does matter is you are about to die.ā€

Been waiting for Mr Postman to bring it to me for a couple of weeks and yesterday he did. Of course I ordered it on the strength of the reviews and ratings on here, now that I am looking beyond Leone for the first time.
Well, itā€™s a quirky one alright and I love it for that. Django and his constant coffin companion, all that mud and those strange red hoods.
Is it really true that this was because the extras available were not pretty enough or did I miss a ā€œtongue in cheekā€ moment on the interviews ?
Franco Neroā€™s eyes look as expressive as Eastwoodā€™s and, on a clearly very low budget, Corbucci managed to produce something very memorable. I need to watch it with the Italian soundtrack though because the English dialogue is very odd at times.
Thanks to you guys I have bought, Death Rides A Horse, The Great Silence and now Django and I have found much to enjoy in them all. I keep getting my wife to sit down and watch with me, and whilst she has been fine with that, I think she is getting a bit bored with me pointing out great camera work, great acting or wonderful scoring. Oh and playing a game of ā€œSpot Mario Bregaā€ :D. Not sure she will want to watch them as many times over as I am going to either.
Great stuff and I canā€™t wait to dig deeper!

You see, in this world thereā€™s two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

And just like Blondie and Tuco I will be rich. In great movies if not gold!
Please donā€™t leave me on that cross though because if you do you know what you areā€¦

[quote=ā€œMejimbo, post:83, topic:148ā€]Is it really true that this was because the extras available were not pretty enough or did I miss a ā€œtongue in cheekā€ moment on the interviews ?[/quote]Probably just a joke from Deodato. Check Chris Caseyā€™s post from previous page.

Thanks Bill. Must have skimmed past that one!

I watched ā€œdjangoā€ tonight and iā€™ve only seen it once before and that was some years ago. back then i thought it was entertaining but after just seeing it again itā€™s even better!i like other sergio corbucci westerns ie " the great silence" and ā€œthe hell bendersā€ and this is up there with them.from the mysterious "gothic " like credit sequence through to the corbucci trademark not an entirely " happy"ending.film has memorable scenes and some gritty violence for itā€™s time e.g an ear cut off , a bullet in the eye and the painful smashing of djangoā€™s hands.franco nero is very good in the main role.this is already in my top 20 but is just about to move up a few places :slight_smile:

The BU disc is indeed great. There are some great shots in this version that were omitted from previous releases that really showcase Corbucciā€™s talent behind the camera. It is also paramount to have the Italian audio because Franco Nero delivers his lines wonderfully and that English dubbing is beyond awful.

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:39, topic:148ā€]The 1st half and the ending are great, sometimes brilliant, but the whole part with the mexicans is surprisingly conventional.
The smaller shootouts are brilliantly made, but in the greater action scenes unfortunately the cheapness shows, they are not so well cut like in Corbucciā€™s later SWs and look rather static.
Thatā€™s why Django is not as good as The Great Silence and The Mercenary, which are his masterpieces.[/quote]

I absolutely love Django at the beginning; it is an iconic SW. However I also felt it really started to suffer in the main body of the movie and only began to redeem itself right towards the end. Nevertheless, it will always be a classic.

What more can be said. A man dragging a coffin in the rain to a spooky ass town. I couldnā€™t care less what the rest of the movie was about (although itā€™s great). The ending scene as the camera pans back & watches him exit the graveyard, maimed, while leaving his bloody gun on the grave of his murdered wife (thereā€™s a woman name on the grave, I assume itā€™s her). Iā€™m hooked!

I sort of feel the same.
I donā€™t really like the music that played when Django is escaping with the gold with the mexicans, works better in Bullet for the General I think.

Though apart from the scenes with the mexicans I think this is perfect.

I also agree the middle of the movie when heā€™s hanging out with the mexicans was kinda dull and lowers the movie down a notch for me. Great beginning and great ending though. Still a great movie, but I fear it is in danger of losing its spot in my top 20.

You mst be kiddinā€™ Colonel!

Django seem to be an endangered species!

SAVE DJANGO!!!

And as we know Django must always face another day.

I have 5 releases of Django

The BU disc, the Scandinavian Atlantic disc, an old English vhs, a Swedish vhs, and finally the old Swedish rental by Video Tape Center from the early 1980s

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Django left my top 20 long time ago, so i wonā€™t be the saviour Dillinger is pleading for :wink:

Strangely for me it got better with each viewing
When I saw it for the first time, I didnā€™t like it at all. I had seen it two or three times since, and had started to like it a little, but only when I watched it some time ago, I really embraced the movie.
It has a lot of brilliant moments, but a lot of things that donā€™t work as well, and for quite some time those things prevented me from seeing the brilliance

Itā€™s somewhat flawed, but nevertheless a true cult classic

Django has it 's flaws in the second half, but there is also often an undeniable brilliance, something refreshingly new, something you wonā€™t find in any other of Corbucciā€™s early films. Not even in any other SW, not even by Leone, who was equally brilliant, but different.
(Maybe sometimes though in Navajo Joe. Maybe ā€¦)

Django and the Corbucciā€™s from 68 to 70, thatā€™s the Corbucci I love. Why could this greedy fool not stay to his talents?

What a waste.Stupid stupid stupid.

I agree, It sounds like the ā€˜Nightlineā€™ theme song