Django (Sergio Corbucci, 1966)

It is the best as far as I know but yeah it has some problems like some (most?) other Italian stuff from BU (and other companies like Arrow). I think the grain in it is not really film grain but instead it is some sort of scanner noise or something.

Iā€™m not sure if it was ever confirmed but BU, Arrow and others were all suspected of having used the same company for the scans of their Italian films (there probably wasnā€™t even a choice, the company was decided by the rights holders) and that company has/had a not so good scanner. Canā€™t remember the specifics but I think Synapseā€™s Don May Jr. even once mentioned (on a forum, not to me) he had been warned to never use that scanner. xD

Thanks for the information. That would explain it. Basically itā€™s a constant flickering going on. Too bad, otherwise it looks good.

Some days ago i watched Yojimbo from kurosawaā€¦the opening scene was really like djangoā€¦

we see Toshiro mifone from behind.

Italian audio and dvd version is better than english and Blurayā€¦

I loved the movie this timeā€¦lol

Yes, the Italian audio is much better.

Way better!

Although it is not in fact Neroā€™s own voice (contrary to what has been claimed by Blue-Underground on their discs).

Some questions to ponder: a Django-related handout from Istanbulā€™s KoƧ Ɯniversitesi.

Hi, Novento!

I always thought that the Italian version did have Franco Neroā€™s voiceā€¦please may I ask where you heard different, as I would be interested to know?

By the wayā€¦I refuse to watch ā€˜Djangoā€™ on Bluray unless it is with the Italian audio. The English dubbing track is - to my mind - very reminiscent of quaint English gents conversing in a golfers club bar!

Cheers!

Actually it is a well know fact. I donā€™t know if any of his Spags contains his own voice. But Il mercenario has his voice on the English version, while the Italian version has still a dubbed one (which I prefer). And both are very different.

Cheers for thatā€¦much appreciated for the info!

I had no ideaā€¦

Forgive me for being curious about thisā€¦but; does anyone know the name of the Italian actor who did do the dubbing for the ā€˜Italian audio trackā€™ on ā€˜Djangoā€™?

Also: does anyone - in the know - know why ā€˜Blue Undergroundā€™ would think that Franco Nero had dubbed the Italian Version of ā€˜Djangoā€™?

Grateful for the infoā€¦

Toscanoā€¦

Well, it is indeed kinda strange that movies donā€™t have the actorā€™s real voice, but in Italy it wasnā€™t an exception to do so. I know that several Spencer/Hill movies also have dubbed voices for both leads.

Maybe Jonathan can give us more details here, how often this happened then, or if this is still happing nowadays.

Once again, many thanksā€¦Iā€™d really like to know more about the dubbingā€¦if anyone else can help with the ā€˜dubbingā€™ details, for ā€˜Djangoā€™; or, indeed, the dubbing for any of the other numerous ā€˜Spaghegtiesā€™, Iā€¦and, perhaps, a few others, would like to know.

Stantonā€¦enjoy the rest of the day!!

Djangoā€™s Italian voice was provided by doppiatore Nando Gazzolo. More information on scherpschutterā€™s Django character page.

1 Like

As Stanton said, even dubbing Italian actors in Italian (Terence Hill being a good example) was not uncommon. However, if I remember rightly, the issue with Nero on Django was actually that he sounded too young. He also looked too young which is why they used make-up to age him. That is also a reason why for a period of time it seemed like he wasnā€™t aging!

In terms of dubbing, I think the most interesting example is Tomas Milian. As a native Spanish speaker he was naturally dubbed into Italian. However, he eventually ended up dubbing himself in both Italian and English once people realized there was a market for his ā€œSpitalianoā€ and ā€œSpanglishā€.

Hi, Novecento!

Thank you for the info. regarding the dubbing issue with Franco Nero in ā€˜Djangoā€™ā€¦I had no idea that even the practice of dubbing Italian actors was not uncommonā€¦

Also, thanks for the added info. about Tomas Milianā€¦I know he is not everyoneā€™s sip of Tequila, but Iā€™ve always enjoyed his Spaghetti Westerns. In fact, along with the late, great Giuliano Gemma. Iā€™d say that Milian is my next favourite ā€˜heroā€™ā€¦after Eastwood, Van Cleef, and Wallach, of course!

Cheers!

Just thought Iā€™d stop by to say the English dub of this film is still one of the worst things Iā€™ve ever heard.

Why did they change the dialogue so much??

1 Like

I always liked Django even when I watched it with English audio but it does sound incredibly wooden. The Italian audio is so much better. If anybody is thinking of watching it, the Italian dub is the version to watch without a doubt. Itā€™s my favourite Corbucci western. When it comes to Django films, however, I do have to say that I prefer Django Kill and 10,000 Dollars for a Massacre to the original Django at the moment.

Re-watched Django for the umpteenth time last night. After watching the great Italian dub again i canā€™t believe I ever watched it with the awful English audio. Usually when watching any foreign film Iā€™ll watch it in itā€™s native language with subtitles but spags are the exception because theyā€™re set in an English speaking country. This one and TGS though I think need to be watched in Italian otherwise the quality of the film is actually reduced by some margin.

Itā€™s not just the voice performances itā€™s how much the dialogue is changed for the worse as well.

Itā€™s not my favourite ā€˜Djangoā€™ either, I deffo prefer Death Sentence and Vengeance is Mine.