Django (Sergio Corbucci, 1966)

Nero has a very different voice from the one which was used in The Mercenary. He dubbed the English version himself but not the Italian. And I clearly prefer his Italian ā€œvoiceā€.

i prefer his real voice, actually i canā€™t imagine better voice for Kowalski than it is in english version
same with Companeros, i prefer english version

Actually love the english dub to Django, adds a certain charm for me.

Now Iā€™m confused.

I donā€™t trust Wiki too much, Lee. The same info can be found in Giustiā€™s book about SWs, and as far as I know, he is quite reliable on these things (on these things, not on running times, for example, we all have our strenghts and weaknesses). I guess most info on the Italian Wiki (concerning spags) goes back on his work. The Wiki page offered some comprehensive information, much easier to copy than info from Italian reference works.

I donā€™t have the American BU disc, but the French Wild Side DVD. I checked the Italian audio on it, itā€™s certainly not Nero doing his own lines.

Letā€™s see if Jonathan has something to say about it, heā€™s Italian, Iā€™m not.

Thatā€™s why I prefer subs and original voices

El Topo, Iā€™m afraid that with this last statement youā€™ve messed things up furtherā€¦ :smiley:

[quote=ā€œscherpschutter, post:205, topic:148ā€]we all have our strenghts and weaknesses
(ā€¦)
Letā€™s see if Jonathan has something to say about it[/quote]

And voices are not my strong pointā€¦ :wink:
In any case practically all sources affirm Nero was dubbed by Gazzolo (also SW actor in Un fiume di dollari/The Hills Run Red and Django spara per primo/Django Shoots First):
http://www.antoniogenna.net/doppiaggio/voci/vocingaz.htm

[quote=ā€œJonathanCorbett, post:207, topic:148ā€]And voices are not my strong pointā€¦ :wink:
In any case practically all sources affirm Nero was dubbed by Gazzolo (also SW actor in Un fiume di dollari/The Hills Run Red and Django spara per primo/Django Shoots First):
[url]http://www.antoniogenna.net/doppiaggio/voci/vocingaz.htm[/url][/quote]

I donā€™t know if they are my strong point, but I compared the ā€˜Django voiceā€™ to Neroā€™s voice in several interviews and his voice in Keoma (the English language version, I donā€™t have an Italian version). Itā€™s completely different.

Django - Saw it for the first time in Italian after all the talk about viewing it this way, I love the film a whole lot more now than I did already, it made it so much better.

Exactly. I couldnā€™t believe I didnā€™t like it. Now I love it.

I used to think of it as a 4, if I voted again now it would get a 5.

Yep, Iā€™ve already changed my vote and voted 5.
I always considered it to be the most overrated spag ever. Now I see how blind I was and what a piece of crap is that awful English dubbing!

I didnā€™t think you could change votes once youā€™d submitted them. I had a look and canā€™t see how.

I think youā€™re right. ;D
Then I havenā€™t voted before. :stuck_out_tongue: Thatā€™s bad you canā€™t change your vote,
it should be always a possibility to change vote IMHO. :-\

Django is THE movie that got me into Spaghetti Westerns. The dubbing on it is hideous but that didnā€™t lessen the films impact for somehow the film is so good that it survives the terrible dubbing. When I first saw the movie it seemed so totally original that the bad dubbing helped, not in a kitsch way, but it added to the overall strangeness of the picture.

I do think the dub prevents it from really being appreciated by a broader audience, it is not that it just lacks the cleverness of the Italian version, it is actually plain bad with all that classic dubbing senselessness.

I have Blue Undergroundā€™s DVD edition of the movie, released at the same time as the Blu-Ray. Now that I actually have a Blu-Ray player, Iā€™m wondering: is it worthwhile to upgrade to the Blu-Ray disc?

Do itā€¦

Just finished re-watching Django on blu-ray (you know, before going to see Django Unchained) and Iā€™m sort of wondering if I ever did watch the film on blu-ray in itā€™s entirety. Because while I did love Django on my previous viewings, this time I was even more blown away! Maybe I was just in a particularly receptive mood. What a hellish marvel, this is. I will freely admit that yes, the part starting with the Mexico interludes doesnā€™t get better with repeated viewings, but the first 45-50 minutes are sheer perfection and what follows is definitively not bad and from when Django and Maria reach the bridge, well itā€™s just as good as those first 50 mins. I think it will be higher on my next SW top 20.

On the subject of Django : I seem to recall reading that some people thought that the cross on which Django stands his ground at the end is actually the tombstone of his wife (Mercedes Zaro). That sounds like a great idea actually (and the Mexican name would explain why Jackson would have killed her), but is it really true? The dates read 1873-1889, thanks to this we know the film takes place in 1889 or after, but that would mean his wife died at age 16. Now letā€™s be super generous and say Django participated in the Civil War at 12 (but then again Django looks young, so he certainly didnā€™t start too old) and only in the last year (1865), that would make Django 36 in 1889. An age difference of 20 years, would that make sense at the time? Unless the birth date is 1833 (there seems to be a 3 under the 7), which would have made her 56. Iā€™m so reading too much into this, lol.

Unless Django didnā€™t actually fight in the Civil War! But then again, why would Hugo call him a deserter if he didnā€™t? Also, was the town called Tombstone or is it just the cemetery thatā€™s called that? That would be a weird name for a cemetery.

Ok, Iā€™ll go sleep now.

Wife or not, I think the dates are 1833 (for sure) and a very confused as regards the last two numbers but more logical 1869.