Death Sentence / Sentenza di morte (Mario Lanfranchi, 1968)

finally added my vote - surprised I commented on it with casting a vote.

Anyone know where to find a english language version of this? I need to see this one in English…

Never come across an english audio version of this one.

Damn

This is a good one, in my opinion. Certain sections of it are stronger than others, but overall…everything works!

I don’t recall, now, who it was that told me; but, someone once said that this film was never dubbed into English. Don’t know if that is true. But, it seems to be…as no one has been able to turn up anything but English subtitled versions (to my knowledge).

I emailed Franco Cleef to see if he knew anything bout a english audio and he gave me this response:

Sorry to disappoint you but there has never been an English release of the movie anywhere. According to Ulrich Bruckner, Koch in Germany has a copy of the movie in English but wasn't able to release it on their dvd because of rights issues. I guess we continue to wait...

Wow, didnt know there were rights for English audio, but hey, this means this may be a matter of waiting… Maybe surprise audio track for the Cineplus release? I dunno

1 Like

Interesting news indeed. Good work Rififii !

Thanks, while I was asking him stuff, I mentioned if he knew of a English dub of Dead Men Ride, sadly he hasnt head of one either…

The Koch DVD at least has English subs…

Despite what Franco Cleef says, there certainly was an English release of the movie - it came out in UK cinemas in the late Sixties. It’s reviewed in a back issue of the Monthly Film Bulletin - incorporated these days into Sight and Sound - which covered every new film released in the UK. I have the issue at home - if it’s of interest, I can dig it out tonight and check the date of release.

A scratchy old print of Death Sentence was also screened at the ICA in London several years ago.

He probably meant home video release. Seems to acknowledge a English track in existence.

Spaghetti Monkey is right…Franco Cleef didn’t say that there was never an English version. In fact, if I read correctly, he confirmed that there was one, but Koch Media couldn’t get the rights to it.

I was the one that said that someone had told me there never was an English version. So, I am the one who was wrong…again!
:slight_smile:

Just watched this one. Good stuff, although I would change the connection between the vengeance acts.

“There has never been an English release of the movie anywhere”

This was the part of FC’s reply I was referring to.

So just to reiterate, there was an English release of the movie.

I understand what you are saying, Starblack. But, that wasn’t the point of Franco Cleef’s response.
He was apparently speaking of video releases, not theatrical releases.
As he goes on to write:
“According to Ulrich Bruckner, Koch in Germany has a copy of the movie in English but wasn’t able to release it on their dvd because of rights issues.”

It is a bit unfair for you to jump on him for claiming there was never an English release of this film PERIOD. When he doesn’t infer that, at all.

Woah, I wasn’t jumping on Franco. I would never do that without an invitation.

I just inferred “release” to mean general release (ie including theatrical) and was trying to provide extra information. The quote from Franco above is only a fragment of a larger conversation, hence the slight misunderstanding.

No disrespect towards FC intended whatsoever. I have nothing but respect for his efforts to provide SW fans with rare movies in great quality, and have several of his releases at home.

He’s one of the good guys.

One of the best, on this we all agree. :wink:

[quote=“Starblack, post:36, topic:911”]Woah, I wasn’t jumping on Franco. I would never do that without an invitation.

I just inferred “release” to mean general release (ie including theatrical) and was trying to provide extra information. The quote from Franco above is only a fragment of a larger conversation, hence the slight misunderstanding.

No disrespect towards FC intended whatsoever. I have nothing but respect for his efforts to provide SW fans with rare movies in great quality, and have several of his releases at home.

He’s one of the good guys.[/quote]

Sorry for my misinterpretation, as well, amigo!
What threw me was your starting your post with “Despite what Franco Cleef says”. The phrase “despite what” is generally only used in situations of debate where someone is “attacking” the opposing person’s statements, or views. Thus, my reason for misunderstanding the gist of your post.

Again, I apologize.

You are absolutely right when you say "The quote from Franco above is only a fragment of a larger conversation, hence the slight misunderstanding. ".

Anyway, Franco Cleef is, indeed, one of the good guys! He is one of my best friends, as well, and that is most likely why I overreacted like I did. :wink:
I have a bad habit of jumping to the defense of my friends–even if, as was the case here, they don’t really need it!

Franco Cleef and I visiting some historical locations near Tombstone, Arizona

Well I wish I could have a [quote=“Chris_Casey, post:38, topic:911”]I have a bad habit of jumping to the defense of my friends–even if, as was the case here, they don’t really need it![/quote]

No need to apologise, Chris. A good friend is a treasure in this world, so your motives were entirely honorable.

Great snap, by the way - I don’t think the Clantons would have messed with you boys in Tombstone!

cool to see a photo of FC and place a face