Death Rides a Horse / Da uomo a uomo (Giulio Petroni, 1967)

[quote=“Menschenjaeger, post:301, topic:172”]Saw this one Friday. What kept me hooked was how completely corny, how totally OATER Law’s character was, while Van Cleef was a pure Spaghetti badass. The youngster was a classic American western character, and the oldtimer was the “new wave” - I wonder if that was intentional or just my perception of the film…

Kinda reminded me of The Avenging Eagle, an even better film.[/quote]

A very interesting take and you may be right! Irony was a huge part of what made SWs appealing. The conventions of the Hollywood western get turned on their head.

I remember the first time I saw this film at the movies in the late sixties I thought it disastrously bad, mainly due to John Phillip Law. Today I think better of it. Watched it again the other night, this time with an Italian audio. The Italian dub actually makes Law a lot of good. Four stars.
My main objection nowadays is as to the ending. Our two protagonists urges a whole Mexican village, terrorized by Walcott’s gang, to stand up against him, arming and instructing them like in Seven Samurai, just to desert them when the going is getting tough, leaving the brave men of El Viento to be slaughtered to a man by Walcott’s men. And there is nothing more to it! I really don’t know. It is hard to believe that Vincenzoni even wrote this.
And why does it always have to be a shooting practice scene? Bill must have spent a week arranging his training ground, just to shoot everything to pieces in sixty seconds, then one more day to clean up the mess. Moreover, I always think that you cannot fire more than six rounds from a six-shooter without reloading, certainly not eleven, as during this particular shooting practice session.
Van Cleef once again pitted against Luigi Pistilli is a treat, Lee greeting Luigi with: “You have changed your old clothes, haven’t you? But you still haven’t been able to change your face. You still got that meanest-looking face I ever did see. And I’ve seen some mean faces.”

LOL thats the reason why he declined the Sheriff’s post offered to him at the beginning. He just doesn’t have the time!

I didn’t think of that. It explains it.

I saw that the Death Rides A Horse DVD by Explosive Media is out of stock in amazon now! I’m not suprised! It’s one of the bes SWs and in an amazing release!

I found only two such blurays on ebay but they are quite expensive:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/391156761582?_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Von-Mann-zu-Mann-3-Disc-Special-Edition-mit-1-Blu-Ray-2-DVDs-HD-Remastered-/281708220381?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item41971e4fdd

Has anybody an idea where to find one in a good prise? I need a second one for a present! :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m selling by the way my old MGM DVD:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/221782686979?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

From Bandidos thread:

Walter Giuliangeli is Bill as a child, there is not the slightest doubt.

I prefer Day of Anger to Death Rides a Horse but I like The Big Gundown the most.

Can someone correct the IMDb cast as soon as reasonably possible? Mr. Meceita is played by Ennio Pagliani and the correct surname is GIULIANGELI. Thanks in advance!

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php?title=Uccideva_a_Freddo&curid=2288&diff=105871&oldid=101987

We must be better coordinated. I spoke to Walter G. months ago, as I said earlier in Death Rides a Horse he plays Bill as a child and his correct surname is Giuliangeli (the image below is from Italian closing credits) and not Giulangeli as in the English version.

He told me he was in other less important SWs, but he doesn’t remember the titles of them: what is certain is that he cannot be a henchman in a movie released in those years like The Cold Killer.

1 Like

Still going through my top 20 which led me to watch this one last week. Still the best revenge spaghetti western if you ask me, I love almost everything about it even Law who I don’t think was that wooden. I think he did a good job of playing an enigmatic gunslinger yet a simultaneously scarred and haunted young man. I think it’s his dubbing that sucks not his actual on-screen presence. Quick question-was the set with the saloon that Pistilli gives the speech on (I think it’s called Lyndon City) used in another spag? I hadn’t watched this one in a few years and I couldn’t help but think I’d seen the set somewhere else since.

Exactly. And it’s not really Law’s fault if the ADR director isn’t even telling him he sounds like a robot.

“DEAL THE CARDS”

Just a bump to let everyone know, the pre-order for the upcoming US release is now live. Do use our Amazon links if you can

Is the picture quality the same as the German Blu-ray?

no idea. there was one post on FB where they said they fixed the framing issue that was reported for that… otherwise we’ll have to wait. But there’s always a high probability that the license holders supply the same material

Just watched the Kino blu-ray.

I’d say the clarity is the same as Explosive Media’s transfer, and yes the framing issue is fixed.

Cox’s commentary is pretty cool. He actually admits he was completely wrong to criticise the cinematography of this film in his book. He does an impression of one of John Phillip Law’s wooden lines, and shits on Terence Hill as usual :smile:

1 Like

Hi,

I have recently got into necklaces and have started wearing some. I’ve always wanted Lee Van Cleefs, Skull necklace. I’ve contacted a company that creates custom necklaces. Has anyone ever found done this? Or even tried to find a replica. For a Few Dollars More has the replicated pocket watch and Lee Van Cleefs pipe, I have never really seen anything other than posters and blu-ray movies.

It’s one of my alltime favs , John Phillip Law was great in it as well , Lee Van Cleef is stellar . The story moves well , nice action . Worth .99 in my book

Any chance of Death Rides a Horse (Explosive Media) being re-released on Blu-ray?
I wanted to buy but can’t find anywhere.

They do no longer have the rights to it, but I am fairly certain whoever inherited the rights will not pass up the oportunity of selling new editions to us fans. I stay optimistic, especially because there is HD material (I am less optimistic with movies where no known HD material is out there)

Ok, good to know. Thanks :slight_smile: