Captain Apache (Alexander Singer, 1971)

Yes, technically this is a Eurowestern: UK/Spain co-production without Italian participation (apart from the presence of Luis Induni, a sort of political refugee in Francoist Spain).

Another one I recently watched (got to thank the old television show The Master for introducing me to Lee Van Cleef!) and the thing that struck me about this movie was the potential it had to be so much better than it was. The main character is an intriguing one in my opinion: an Apache scout for the US Cavalry offer the potential for a character with interesting back story and potential conflicts in his life, not to mention the overt racism the movie does highlight. The plot to assassinate the president that is uncovered by the investigation of the murder of the Indian agent, the various villains, the classic SW betrayals and alliances. Even the weird witch and tripping sequence had the potential to provide a macabre element to the film.

Had this script seen some tightening up and with some better editing this could have turned into a really good movie.

I had the same feeling about Captain Apache: it had potential, it wasn’t hopeless, but it could’ve been a lot better. Think I’ll rewatch it in the near future, haven’t seen it in a while and maybe my feelings will be different this time.

[url]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/69/uz28.jpg/[/url]

“You talkin’ to me?”

[size=12pt]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Captain_Apache_Review[/size]

Lovely review, Scherp. As usual, some good info-nuggets that I was unaware of, such as Singer’s friendship with Kubrick. Its a pretty funny scene to imagine- Singer screening Captain Apache with Stanley Kubrick (not that it ever happened, of course).

That Captain Apache drawing by Harnois75 is really cool!

Surprised to see Carlos Castaneda mentioned in a review of Captain Apache, haha…

I think I am going to have a re-watch in the immediate future.

Well, Castaneda was a popular figure in those days, I read the novel (or whatever it is) too.

Wonder if Van Cleef went on holiday for his tan or they used a fake tan :smiley:

Maybe it was pure sweat, must have been suffocating in that coat in Spain.

Good point…forgot about that coat.

Found this nice poster via an ebay seller that has it listed currently

Was going to add it to the DB page, but couldn’t figure out how to add new images

Ha, ha great stuff !

This should go in the Database :slight_smile: .

[quote=“autephex, post:51, topic:128”]Found this nice poster via an ebay seller that has it listed currently

Was going to add it to the DB page, but couldn’t figure out how to add new images

[/quote]

It makes it look more like a Giallo.

It makes it look more like a Giallo.

Yes, and what’s more: there’s no naked woman behind Lee’s hat in the movie (at least not in the version I watched)

Really a different SW…

It’s more similar to american westerns…

Never really watch it, remember seeing some bits a long time ago in a Spanish TV Channel.

Well I already known its bad reputation, and after a complete viewing its fully deserved.
Ok it’s a bad film, but if it wasn’t for the pretentious plot it could even enter that essential film category so good it’s bad, it has some funny weird moments perfect for that category, but that kind of thriller plot really lost me, making the film boring to watch, and sometimes hard to follow, so what saves the show are those funny scenes.

Lee didn’t had much luck with his 70’s westerns, but he better than this. To get things worst it’s not even a genuine spag, anyway I guess it would had been hard to make a good pure SW with a character like Captain Apache, unless they would do something more similar to Navajo Joe, there’s always a solution.
Nevertheless Captain Apache its worth watching for the simple fact that Lee sings the main theme. And I always wanted to say this Lee Van Clee started out as an accountant, so that mere fact makes my job a bit classier.

I’ve never seen it, don’t think i’ll ever will either. Just don’t like the look of it.

That man, that tan and that awful looking wig!” ;D

I bought the recent UK release which was a nice upgrade. Cheesy, but… (don’t shoot me)… I liked the music ;D.
Whitman’s 'tache looked like it was going to fly off at any given point.

Bit of info on the score to the film here which you all just wanted to know :smiley: :

[url]http://thebadnet.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/interview-with-dolores-claman-captain.html[/url]

Interesting interview.

Not a great singer, our Lee, a bit tone deaf … well, that other Lee, Marvin, wasn’t a real marvel either, at least not as far as singing is concerned.