Captain Apache (Alexander Singer, 1971)

Ha, ha great stuff !

This should go in the Database :slight_smile: .

[quote=“autephex, post:51, topic:128”]Found this nice poster via an ebay seller that has it listed currently

Was going to add it to the DB page, but couldn’t figure out how to add new images

[/quote]

It makes it look more like a Giallo.

It makes it look more like a Giallo.

Yes, and what’s more: there’s no naked woman behind Lee’s hat in the movie (at least not in the version I watched)

Really a different SW…

It’s more similar to american westerns…

Never really watch it, remember seeing some bits a long time ago in a Spanish TV Channel.

Well I already known its bad reputation, and after a complete viewing its fully deserved.
Ok it’s a bad film, but if it wasn’t for the pretentious plot it could even enter that essential film category so good it’s bad, it has some funny weird moments perfect for that category, but that kind of thriller plot really lost me, making the film boring to watch, and sometimes hard to follow, so what saves the show are those funny scenes.

Lee didn’t had much luck with his 70’s westerns, but he better than this. To get things worst it’s not even a genuine spag, anyway I guess it would had been hard to make a good pure SW with a character like Captain Apache, unless they would do something more similar to Navajo Joe, there’s always a solution.
Nevertheless Captain Apache its worth watching for the simple fact that Lee sings the main theme. And I always wanted to say this Lee Van Clee started out as an accountant, so that mere fact makes my job a bit classier.

I’ve never seen it, don’t think i’ll ever will either. Just don’t like the look of it.

That man, that tan and that awful looking wig!” ;D

I bought the recent UK release which was a nice upgrade. Cheesy, but… (don’t shoot me)… I liked the music ;D.
Whitman’s 'tache looked like it was going to fly off at any given point.

Bit of info on the score to the film here which you all just wanted to know :smiley: :

[url]http://thebadnet.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/interview-with-dolores-claman-captain.html[/url]

Interesting interview.

Not a great singer, our Lee, a bit tone deaf … well, that other Lee, Marvin, wasn’t a real marvel either, at least not as far as singing is concerned.

The worst thing about it is that so many scenes take place inside the hotel, which isn’t aesthetically appealing for a western film. Me and my brother decided to watch this since I hadn’t watched it all the way through since I was a little kid (I can understand why I taped over my TV recording back then). We both love the opening (the song is great fun. It’s a pity it wasn’t used for a better film) but damn, what a terrible movie! At least it’ll give you some laughs. Just be sure to watch it with someone else in order to get the most out of it. Funniest part for me is when Van Cleef drinks the potion and it turns into some kind of campy Hammer horror production for a brief moment. 1 star… maybe 2 just for the song and the laughs.

With Van Cleef holding his chest in that weird style Hammer scene makes it even more tacky.

The allusions to the horror genre that are found in ‘Captain Apache’ and a significant number of other Westerns produced by British production companies are noted and discussed in ‘The Euro-Western’ by Lee Broughton. It’s argued that these horror elements are linked to Hammer’s popularity and influence on the domestic film industry and the British people’s longstanding affinity for imagery and scenarios that are linked to the British Gothic tradition.

Watched the Wild Coyote DVD of Captain Apache yesterday. It has English and German audio with optional English subtitles. The DVD menu is butt-ugly, otherwise it’s a fine release. Advice to German speakers: don’t read the back-cover text before watching the DVD, because it gives away the whole story, albeit (in parts) incorrectly. The text was copied word for word from the German Wikipedia article on Captain Apache, by the way.

I just watched this on Blu-ray. Not a great movie but I enjoyed it. I have always liked Lee Van Cleef and it was cool to see him with hair even though it was fake! LOL!

Watched this for the first time via a very nice blu-ray copy. Well, lo and behold, it really wasn’t that bad at all, just when I thought I was going to nod off when the film started to drag a bit i found it entertaining and i even liked that rap song from LVC.

1 Like

The story is not the easiest to follow at times in this one, but an international cast compensates a little. Van Cleef is called Red Ass so many times in the movie, it does sort of make me smile in the end. Van Cleef looks to red at times, ha, ha. And the acid soundtrack is just wicked stuff. Finally viewed this one in the correct aspect ratio after all these years.

Has anyone seen the laught track version that was released on dvd ages ago? I wonder what was that all about.

Which DVD release was it?

Just watched this today. Hilarious!

Witness the scene where van Cleef eats while the girl goes on and on about how innocent and virginal she is…then he stands up and burps. End of scene. Jump cut to the two of them in bed, and somehow she smuggled a knife into their lovemaking session! And he smuggled a gun! God knows where! :joy:

There are dozens of moments like that, both intentionally and unintentionally funny. I was trying to think of how to rank this movie, but it exists on a different plane.

3 Likes

This movie’s page in the SWDb has been upgraded to the new 3.0 format. Please check it out and let us know if you see anything that we need to correct or of you can add information, texts, links or images.
Here we do need a new synopis.