Bone Tomahawk (S. Craig Zahler, 2015)

This movie looks promising.

8/10 review from Arrow in the Head (the horror arm of JoBlo.com)

1 Like

Saw this today, my dribblings on the matter HERE.

Mine here, found it great:

2 Likes

BONE TOMAHAWK gets a UK release. That’s friggin’ awesome. Go see it! Here’s the new poster:
http://www.liveforfilms.com/2016/02/04/bone-tomahawk-gets-a-new-uk-poster/

I began watching this a little concerned. I don’t like horror (unless it is more thriller than gore - Polanski style for example) as I don’t like excessive gore particularly when just for tasteless shock value. In addition, I don’t particularly appreciate films without a fluid camera - I never quite understood what makes people ever think “point and shoot” can be equated with cinema.

In spite of all that, this was actually pretty darn good. By the way, how did Zahler get such a great cast when he clearly had a very low budget?

Man, this was awesome. Watched this with my parents who aren’t really into much stuff that’s not mainstream blockbusters and they both enjoyed it. My dad gave it his highest compliment: “I didn’t fall asleep during it”. Although I thought the opening was a bit flat and the first 20 mins didn’t quite do much for me, once they set off from the town it was fantastic until the end.

3 Likes

I think I had a similar reaction first time around … some of the hand held stuff looked a little suspect … but all that can easily be forgiven once it gets going - watched it about 3 or 4 times now and it holds up each time - I’d recommend checking out Zahler’s other flicks too … especially ‘Dragged across concrete’ … you’re in for a treat if you haven’t seen it yet.

2 Likes

Yeah, the slightly weird handheld shots and the very washed-out colour palette put me off at first but I soon warmed up to it.

1 Like

I saw this one a while ago and enjoyed it. For me, the coolest thing was the atmosphere

2 Likes