Articles

Good article Korano.

Two things are wrong.

Giu la testa wasnā€™t offered to Leone, the material for the film was developed by Sergio Donati for Leone or for his production company early in 68. In the first place Leone didnā€™t wanted to direct the film, but wanted to have directed it very close after his own ideas and ended consequentially in the end as the director.
My Name is Nobody was a similar case where Leone was always unsure how much he should control the film.

OuTW was a flop in the US and maybe also in GB, mainly due to a butchered version for which Paramount had removed several key scenes, so that they ended with a torso that indeed couldnā€™t work for an audience.

But the film was a smash hit in several other important countries.

In Italy the film wasnā€™t as successful as the Dollar trilogy, but still was #6 at the box office of all SWs.

In France and Germany the film became an incredible successful cult film, and is one of the few films you can watch still in cinemas every year, if you like.
In France OuTW had 14,86 mio spectators and is the # 6 of all films since 1945 (GBU with 6,32 mio is on #115) and in Germany it had about 13 mio which is the #3 of all since 1968. Which sets OuTW above every LotR and Harry Potter film.

Wow, itā€™s been so long since Iā€™ve done any content for the DB on my own.

Iā€™m planning an article covering The Spaghetti Westerns of Giorgio Stegani. And since weā€™re so good at team work, Iā€™d like to ask for ideas. Specifically your thoughts on Steganiā€™s work and any reoccuring styles or such.

first check if you can still create pages in the database. thereā€™s a problemā€¦

[quote=ā€œkorano, post:82, topic:1580ā€]Wow, itā€™s been so long since Iā€™ve done any content for the DB on my own.

Iā€™m planning an article covering The Spaghetti Westerns of Giorgio Stegani. And since weā€™re so good at team work, Iā€™d like to ask for ideas. Specifically your thoughts on Steganiā€™s work and any reoccuring styles or such.[/quote]

Oh well, the shorter the better maybe. :wink:

He made only 3 not very distinguished SWs, which donā€™t have much in common. Or have they?

At least Beyond the Law got better in the uncut version and became an enjoyable film. Still some badly directed action scenes in it.
Adios Gringo is too simple for my taste (but ok to watch), and Gentleman Jo was a pretty poor bore.

But letā€™s see what Korano thinks about him.

Thanks Stanton

Valid points. His action scenes seem to be lacking a certain energy the likes of which Corbucci had no problem with. I do remember him being pretty good with photographing the deserts though.

Yeah, the bigger budget of BtL was used in a good way for a better looking film. There are even several ā€œCorbucci likeā€ framings with telephoto lens shots, which look pretty good. But the unimaginative big shoot out at the end belongs to the worst in the genre.

The film was fun, but somehow failed to become a real pleasure.

Iā€™m temperarily ditching the Stegani article for now. Gearing up for an article on the Zapata westerns sometime this week or next.