A Town Called Hell / A Town Called Bastard (Robert Parrish, 1971)

I consider MANNAJA and KEOMA to be the last two great spaghettis, i even have a small place in my heart for Fulci’s SILVER SADDLE :wink:

Silver Saddle is an enjoyable film to watch, I always find it strange though with Geoffrey Lewis being dubbed with a different voice , a bit like Coburn in the Wild East version of A Reason To Live…

saw this last night. had seen it years ago as "a town called bastard"a better title,and when i first saw it i thought it was awful. a second viewing improves that to a poor , difficult to follow film and even more difficult to care about.indifferent performances from an intresting cast. does have a gothic feel and stella stevens is hauntingly beautiful but a poor film overall.

[quote=“man with a name, post:43, topic:232”]saw this last night. had seen it years ago as "a town called bastard"a better title,and when i first saw it i thought it was awful. a second viewing improves that to a poor , difficult to follow film and even more difficult to care about.indifferent performances from an intresting cast. does have a gothic feel and stella stevens is hauntingly beautiful but a poor film overall.[/quote]It starts promising but once Telly Savalas character is killed it pretty much loses its grip.

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:37, topic:232”]I much prefer the original title though of ’ A Town Called Bastard’, this was the title on my old original U.K pre-cert VHS Tape.

These pussies today though , with all this political correction shit, A Town Called Pussies more like![/quote]

:smiley: Yeah,thats how it is !
In germany the title is ‘A town takes revenge’ - correct,of course :wink:

Very true. Actually this film had several interesting moments but the last half was somewhat confusing and the movie lost its way.

Don Carlos met his end pretty abruptly, eh?

This is an old favorite of mine with some odd twists that make for a really fun flick. It opens up with Robert Shaw and Martin Landau fighting together against the Mexican Army in a church of all places. We then fast-forward ten years and Shaw is a priest looking for redemption and Landau is a general in the Mexican Army he once fought against. It’s around this time we get to see my favorite scene. As Stella Stevens is traveling in her coffin, she is awoken by her companion/gunfighter who speaks two lines of dialouge and then never speaks again for the rest of the movie. Great stuff. She is traveling to this town called Bastard because she is looking for the man who killed her husband. It turns out to be a revolutionary named Aguila and only Shaw knows who Aguila actually is. Meanwhile, Landau comes to town looking for Aguila as well, and the hunt is on. Telly Savalas is great fun as the Mayor of Bastard and meets his maker in a biblical fashion. This is not a typical SW/EW, but it is a lot of fun, and if you’re in the mood for something a bit loopy while still being deadly serious, this might be your cuppa joe.

Fun factor - 8/10

I really need to get a copy of the Stonevision DVD one of these days when i can get enough scratch together (damn myself to hell for not picking one up when Xploited had them), in the meantime i’m hoping Criterion will give this the full restoration that it deserves, including the original title which has to be in the running for greatest title ever.

You can usually get this on eBay for about £2.

Unfortunately, i don’t do paypal and everytime i check Amazon UK it’s 20 plus shipping to the states. Bit much for me at the moment, one of these days though.

The set is somehow claustrophobic, and the flashbacks doesn’t quite fulfill the development of the narrative.
The cast is very good, so I expected more from this one. Also felt some disappointing, to see how little it was Savala’s role.
Nevertheless loved the hanging scenes!!

Watched A Town Called Bastard for the first time, albeit in a 11 min shorter German version.

A pretty confuse film in which many people do many things without that I got any idea why they did what they did. I doubt that the 11 min really can help to make it more understandable or better. But who knows?

It looks like a film in which an interesting cast and some ambitious ideas were buried by lots of compromises or butchered by the producers or someone else. But I don’t know if this was really another troubled production.
Maybe the problem was that the producer was also the screenplay writer.

An English western shot in Spain by a US director, a bastard film. 4/10 in this 86 min version

Recently viewed this one again. Remember being confused with some things when I first viewed, but not so much these days. One that gets better and better for me.

Watched a widescreen fandub of this one taken (I think) from Spanish TV. Comes in at just under 97 minutes so sounds like as long a version as is available. Some scenes were without English audio so not sure what is in the Stonevision DVD or not. Either way, there are still some scenes which seem clumsily cut and I wonder if this was just due to sloppy work to begin with.

The film itself has some very good elements and an excellent cast but the flashbacks could have been integrated better I think and the death of Savalas and arrival of Landau are far from clear. Also, Stella Stevens character seems oddly ill defined. is she a spectre of some sort or genuinely seeking revenge for her lost husband?

Enjoyed for the most part however and certainly deserving of a decent release I think.

Rewatched this one after a long time I last have seen it, to be honest could only remember a few glimpses of the story .
I always like the film got two actors I fancy pretty much, Robert Shaw and Martin Landau, Savallas remuneration was bigger I guess and must only have lasted for half the film.
Really one of those projects that could have been so much better, the main problem with was that get a bit too much complicated, when they could have made simplier and more effective, some characters are not that well defined From Stella to Landau)and seemed quite odd and confusing at times, to say the least. Definetely the plot got lost somewhere in the process, with the flashblacks and the Shakesperian story and dialogues, with a better script this film could have been a real winner, but unfortunately just a missed oportunity. On the other hand everyone seemed to be having a good time the non Morricone and “world music” alike soundtrack is pretty neat, and the cast is really good with Shaw stealing every scene, at times the film looked like a theathre play. The saloon scene with that ragtime music almost look like if it was from another film.
I don’t know the story behind it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there were production and post production issues in this one, maybe someone knows something about it.
On another level, its always surprising to me, how so may films about people’s revolution and revolutionary issues were made in a country with a fascist regime at the time, it makes you thing.

3 stars but not as dissapointing to me as One reason to live…

ultra bore!!!
tely savalas looks stupid as always :smiley:

[quote=“sartana1968, post:55, topic:232”]ultra bore!!!
tely savalas looks stupid as always :D[/quote]

Ultra confusing more like it to me, poor Savalas Sartana ;D , he my look a bit adrift from the films sometimes like if he was somewhere, else but I won’t call him boring or stupid

maybe it’s the film tha looks savalas stupid

Is the Stonevision release the best dvd to get?

Is the Stonevision release the best dvd to get?

Probably the best official release to get.

There exists also an English fandub using the Spanish DVD:

Spanish Disc:

Stonevision:

Thanks!